Sunday, June 8, 2008

Feeding Frustrations and Smiles


Well, it's been a little while since I've entered anything on the blog. Things are starting to settle down around here, so hopefully I'll be able to at least post something once a week now. I say that and I'm sure some other fiasco will show up. God will bring us through...

It turns out that while I thought you were becoming a better eater (which you may have been) I was not providing enough for you. At six weeks I could just tell that you weren't gaining enough weight. I took you to the doctor to have you weighed and sure enough, you had only gained 13 ounces since birth. Stick a knife in my heart!! No wonder you were so fussy lately...you were hungry and I was the one starving you!

The doctor told me that I now had to feed you every two hours what I had (only two ounces) and supplement formula for the rest (about 2-3 ounces). In between the feedings I had to pump to try to get my milk supply up. That meant that I as sitting down with something attached to me every hour of the day!! I did it for 4-5 days and about lost my mind literally. I couldn't do it any more. I called my friend, Amy, who is a pediatrician and she gave me some advice to get my sanity back.

We took you back to the doctor a week later. When we were taking off your clothes to have you weighed the nurse said "OH NO!" We look and you had a huge diaper explosion. It was all the way up you back! It took a long time and a lot of wipes to get you cleaned up. We took you to the scale and were so excited to see that the nurse kept pushing it further along. You had gone from 7lb 13oz the week before to 9lb 8oz. In one week!! Dr. Harmon came in and asked what we had been feeding you. I told her that we had followed her instructions and fed you every two hours. It was so hard, because most of the time we had to struggle to wake you up. The formula really knocked you out. Thankfully she then said that we could just wait for you to tell us when you were hungry. I didn't realize it, but David said afterward that I kept asking if that was really okay. I told him it was hard to grasp because for the first six weeks of your life I had to make sure I fed you every 2-3 hours. Now I wait for you to tell me? How does that work?

Well, you do tell me, just like you used to. But, now it's every 3-4 hours at a time. It's so fantastic. I can get out of the house and do things again. We don't have to come rushing home after only being out for an hour. Our little boy is growing so big. God is blessing us more and more every day!!



You've started smiling!! You've got the cutest smile. If you're tired or not really interested it's kind of a half smirk, but if you really are happy or think something is funny you have the BIGGEST smile. I think you might have dimples. You started smiling at me and then a couple days later at Daddy. You'll smile at our parents and occasionally at people who are holding you at church.

You've also started cooing. I'll lay on the floor with you after your first morning feeding. We'll play and talk and sing and read books. You're such a happy baby. The only time you really cry is when you're hungry. Sometimes you'll cry because you're not being held or payed attention to. (Only slightly spoiled.)

No comments: